Thursday, June 25, 2009

What graft should I use?

So now that you have been diagnosed with a torn acl you can schedule your surgery and it's time to make the biggest decision. At this point you have to decide if you are using a an autograft your own tendon or allograft a donor graft. For my first surgery I opted for the allograft since my speciliast recommended it since I also had damaged my meniscus and cartilage. With a allograft you have a faster surgery, a smaller incision, and less pain after the surgery. The downside is that you can acquire a disease or the graft can be rejected by your body.
For my second surgery I will be using autograft since the orthopecic says I have strong tendons.
For autografts doctors use your patellar or hamstring tendon. Your orthopedic should tell you the options you have & the risk of using each one. I opted for the patellar tendon and will require an extra incision of 2" in the front of my knee to harvest it. The surgery will be a little longer due to the harvesting.

1 comment: